As is with any boat project it is never as simple as simply installing one component. Installing a Smart Plug meant I needed to also install a proper marine breaker, a galvanic isolator and a GFI outlet for my heater. While I'm doing all this I might as well add a battery charger... what's one more component!?
Here's what I opted to get:
- Smart Plug
- Blue Sea 30a 110v Marine Breaker
- Marinco Galvanic Isolator
- Guest 12v charger with dual outputs (to charge the house and starter batteries)
- DO NOT TO READ the Marine Electrical and Electronics bible by John C. Payne - While I'm certain there is loads of useful information in this book for other installations, in this instance he seriously over complicates what should be a really simple installation!
- Despite the suggestion in the smart plug manual DO NOT use Vaseline to help get the rubber collar on the 30A cable. It made it almost impossible to pull the cable through... not unlike trying to hold on to a greased pig!